Police say offender failed to register

STOCKPORT—Darrell Flagg, 45, of Stockport was charged with failure to register and to verify as a sex offender, a class E felony by Deputy David Rose and Sheriff’s Office Senior Investigator William Foster, October 4 at 11:39 a.m. Chenango County Undersheriff James Lloyd contacted Sr. Inv. Foster to let him know that Mr. Flagg had moved to Columbia County and apparently failed to notify local law enforcement.

Following an investigation, Mr. Flagg was taken into custody, arraigned in Greenport Court before Justice Robert Brenzel and sent to the county jail in lieu of $20,000 cash bail or $30,000 bail bond. He was ordered to return to Stockport Court at a later date. Chief Peter Volkmann and Officer Jerry Rowell of the Stockport Police Department assisted in the investigation.


Authorities are looking for a suspect in a Massachusetts crime who led police on a chase into Columbia County, Tuesday afternoon October 11.

State Police Senior Investigator Gary Mazzacano told The Columbia Paper that Massachusetts police radioed New York State Police, the Sheriff’s Office and Chatham Police, that someone had committed a home invasion in Great Barrington, MA, the victim was an 88-year-old woman. Massachusetts police had pursued the suspect driving a gray Chrysler into Columbia County. Sr. Inv. Mazzacano said the suspect is a Caucasian man, but his name and New York State license plate number are unknown. Numerous sightings of the vehicle were reported and one on Route 66 sent police cars racing along highway with lights and sirens blasting. A helicopter combed the area. Anyone with information is asked to call State Police at 518 851-2001.


Michael Fix, 40, of Hudson was charged with third degree assault, first degree criminal contempt, a class E felony and fourth degree criminal mischief on an arrest warrant by Deputy David Proper, October 4 at 7:31 p.m.

Mr. Fix allegedly caused physical injury to a woman by punching her several times with his fist, intentionally damaged property belonging to the woman and violated an Order of Protection originally issued by Columbia County Family Court Judge Jonathan Nichols. The incident took place on Pumpkin Hollow Road, September 30. Mr. Fix was arraigned in Taghkanic Court, sent to the county jail in lieu of $2,500 cash bail or bail bond and ordered to return to court at a later date. Copake Police assisted in the investigation and Greenport Police assisted with the arrest.


David E. Stafford, Jr., 18, of Stottville was charged with third degree assault and second degree harassment by Deputy Thomas Bagnall and Sheriff’s Sergeant Michael Merante, October 9 at 4:52 p.m.

Mr. Stafford allegedly punched two male victims while at a gas station/ convenience store in Greenport causing one male to fall to the ground and strike his head. Mr. Stafford will answer the charges in Greenport Court October 17.


Maria Del Carmen Hernandez, 27, of Livingston was charged with third degree identity theft, a class A misdemeanor, by Sheriff’s Office Investigators Anthony Brahm and John Rivero, October 7 at 10:28 a.m. Ms. Hernandez allegedly used a man’s social security number to obtain employment at a local business. She will answer the charge in the Livingston Town Court, October 20.


Jamie MacArthur, 30, of Ancram was charged with fourth degree grand larceny and third identity theft by State Police at Poughkeepsie, October 7. Ms. MacArthur allegedly stole a credit card from a 91-year-old resident of The Fountains at Millbrook, an assisted living center, and used it more than 30 times during the month of September in Dutchess and Columbia counties. Ms. MacArthur was issued a ticket to appear in Unionvale Court October 19.

To contact Diane Valden email dvalden@columbiapaper.

Fire hits V&O Press construction site

Greenport firefighters extinguished a blaze in the former V&O Press building on State Route 66, the morning of Wednesday, October 12.

Firefighters from all three Greenport companies were called to the scene at 4:30 a.m. A Sheriff’s deputy arrived moments later and reported that the fire had vented through the roof of the industrial structure, according to information from photographer Michael McCagg. Firefighters found that the fire involved demolition debris on the roof and second floor of the structure. The building is in the process of being demolished to make way for a hotel and entertainment complex. Route 66 was closed in front of the structure for about two hours. Units were back in service by 6:45 a.m.



Comments are closed.