Fire destroys firefighters’ home

COPAKE—Volunteer Firefighters Dale Roberts and Liana Summers were awakened when fire erupted in their home at 108 Lake Shore Drive, Thursday, March 7 at 6:23 a.m. The couple and their daughter ran out of the house to safety.

Mr. Roberts, a Copake Fire Company life member with more than 25 years of active service, called 911. Ms. Summers has been an active member of the company’s fire police for five years and is also a member of the Ladies Auxiliary.

Mutual aid to the reported chimney fire that had infiltrated a wall was provided by Ancram, Hillsdale, Craryville, Taghkanic and Churchtown firefighters. The New York State Electric and Gas was requested at the scene and the Red Cross was called to assist the residents. The ranch-style home was a total loss.

Fire officials reported that the fire appeared to have started near the wood stove. Firefighters were back in service at 10:35 a.m.

The Copake Fire Company set up a fund for donations to the family at First Niagara Bank in Copake. Donations may be send to the Copake Fire Company #1, P.O. Box 630 Copake 12516. Checks should be made out to Paul Proper, Jr., treasurer.

 

 

 

Comments are closed.