Clerk faces arson charges for store fire

GREENPORT—A store clerk has been charged with setting the April 27 fire at the 66 Food Mart in the Greenport Crossings Plaza.

Sheriff’s deputies went to the food mart to assist the Greenport Fire Company with a fire at that location, April 27 at 5:36 a.m. After an extensive investigation by the Columbia County Cause and Origin Team, investigators from the state Office of Fire Prevention and Control, the Columbia County District Attorney’s Office, it was determined that the fire was intentionally set, according to a press release from Columbia County Sheriff David P. Bartlett.

Hari Bohara, 40, of Ten Broeck Avenue, Greenport, the store clerk who was on-duty and the only person in the store at the time of the fire was interviewed by authorities and was subsequently charged with third degree arson, a class C felony, by Sheriff’s Office Investigators Mark Dunspaugh and Patrick Logue at 7:05 p.m.

Mr. Bohara allegedly started the fire inside of the store and then reported it to Columbia County 911.

He was arraigned in Greenport Court before Justice Robert Brenzel and sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or $10,000 bail bond pending a future court date.

The investigation is continuing and further charges are possible. Also assisting at the scene were the sheriff, Captain John DeRocha, Senior Investigator William Foster and Deputies Kris Bauhoff and Jason Garvey. District Attorney Paul Czajka was also on the scene.

In the release, Sheriff Bartlett thanked Greenport firefighters and responding mutual aid companies for their quick and efficient knock down of this fire. “The firefighters’ initial response was critical in the preservation of evidence that was retrieved at the scene. With a crime such as this cooperation between all first responders is a must to ensure a successful criminal investigation,” he said.

*Clyde L. Wilburn, 40, of Hudson was charged with third degree robbery, a class D felony, in connection with an incident at Radio Shack in Fairview Plaza, the evening of April 23.

Greenport Police Department’s Officer Andrew Tanzillo received a 911 poll for a reported robbery in progress at the Radio Shack at 5:11 p.m. The report also indicated that an individual was fighting with a store employee. Sheriff’s Office investigators and patrol deputies also responded to assist. Police reportedly found Mr. Wilburn fighting with the employee and quickly took him into custody without further incident.

An investigation revealed that Mr. Wilburn attempted to steal property from the store and as he was leaving, the employee attempted to stop him.

Mr. Wilburn then allegedly assaulted the employee while trying to get away. The employee was taken to the Columbia Memorial Hospital for head and facial injuries. He was treated and later released.

Mr. Wilburn was arraigned in Greenport Court before Justice Robert Brenzel and sent to the Columbia County Jail without bail. Handling the investigation for the Sheriff’s Office were Senior Investigator Kevin Skype, Investigators Patrick Logue and Anthony Brahm and Deputies Josh Oakes and Jerald Rowell. Also assisting in the investigation was the Columbia County District Attorney’s Office and Greenport Police Chief Kevin Marchetto.

*Stephen R. Pabon, 22, of Greenport was charged with third degree criminal possession of stolen property, a class D felony, and unlawful possession of marijuana, a violation, in connection with a vehicle stolen from Troy.

Sheriff’s deputies were advised that a green 2003 Honda Element was stolen in Troy, April 28 at 11 p.m. About four hours later, deputies found the stolen vehicle parked in the McDonald’s parking lot on Fairview Avenue with Mr. Pabon asleep in the driver’s seat. He was taken into custody without incident.

Currently, the investigation is continuing into this incident. Deputies are contacting surrounding jurisdictions, as well as Troy Police, to find out if any other crimes were committed in their areas.

Mr. Pabon was arraigned in Greenport Court before Justice Robert Brenzel and sent to the Columbia County Jail without bail. He is scheduled to reappear May 5.

Sheriff’s Office personnel investigating this incident were Sergeant Andrew Broockmann, Deputy Jason Garvey, Deputy Thomas Bagnall and K9 Deputy Travis VanAlstyne. The Columbia County District Attorney’s Office also assisted.


Hudson Police were called to a residence on the 800 block of Warren Street for an irrational man with two shotguns, April 24 at 4:17 p.m. The caller reported the man took the guns to “shoot the police.” Police went to the location and were met by the man with a long gun. After a brief confrontation, they subdued the man without injury. The Greenport Rescue Squad took the 51-year-old subject to Columbia Memorial Hospital, where he was being treated for mental health issues.

After the call was resolved patrols were told that the man with the gun had an altercation earlier in the day and that incident, along with some alcohol, had inspired his irrational behavior.

“Members of HPD confronted an armed and agitated man intent on causing harm. I commend all of our officers who responded to immediately contain the scene. Sergeant James Delaney and Officer Jamie Nero went into the house and confronted the armed man as he stood at the top his staircase. They used their experience, good judgment, and training, to resolve the matter without a loss of life. I commend them for their bravery and restraint,” Police Chief L. Edward Moore said in a press release.

*William C. VanAlstyne, Jr., 54, of Hudson was charged with first degree committing a criminal sex act by Hudson Police, April 24.

He allegedly sexually assaulted a 16-year-old female by force in March. Mr. VanAlstyne was arraigned in Hudson City Court before Judge John Connor and was sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $20,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.

To contact Diane Valden email .


Comments are closed.