Much equipment lost in accidental fire

KINDERHOOK—The Village of Kinderhook’s Department of Public Works garage at 43 Chatham Street, was crippled by a fire that broke out Memorial Day around 8 a.m.

Fire officials have ruled the blaze accidental and determined the cause to be the improper disposal of a cigarette.

Inside the metal-roofed, five-bay garage and destroyed by the fire or the heat produced by it were the village’s snow plows; a dump truck; a leaf machine; all its lawnmowers, two riders and two or more push mowers, tools, lubricants and chemicals, Village Mayor Carol Weaver told The Columbia Paper by phone.

The mayor said she had no estimate of the damage cost as of yet and was waiting for an insurance adjuster. Firefighters were able to save one pickup truck by backing it out of the building during the fire. One firefighter injured his toe and was taken for medical treatment.

The building is still standing, but the mayor said it is unsafe.

The Columbia County Cause and Origin Team, Kinderhook firefighters and four other fire companies responded to the call.



Comments are closed.