Mentally ill man hospitalized after threatening police

HUDSON—Law enforcement officials apprehended a man during a “psychotic episode” August 17.

Hudson Police received a call that an upstairs apartment at 830 Columbia Street was being broken into, Monday at 2:17 a.m.

Witnesses said they saw a highly-agitated man smashing windows and throwing objects out into the yard. Arriving patrols noticed that the door had been kicked in and there was much damage to the apartment. As patrols approached, the man took refuge in a back bedroom, with no rear exit.

He told police he had two pistols—a 9 mm and a .45-caliber, and that he would shoot any officer in the head if they approached him, according to a press release.

Police called for backup. Four officers from the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office arrived to join five Hudson officers.

HPD Officers Nicholas Hodges and Patrick Meister and Deputy Jason Garvey entered the apartment and began to negotiate with the man.

It was clear that the man was having a psychotic episode, further fueled by alcohol, the press release said. Throughout the incident the man expressed his desire to die, and threatened the officers saying, “let’s rock and roll” and “someone is going to die tonight.”

At about 3:45 a.m., one and a half hours into the standoff, authorities moved in and took the man into custody without incident. He was disarmed of a “Marine” knife, but he possessed no pistols. He was taken to Columbia Memorial Hospital, where he is undergoing treatment. No criminal charges have been filed.

The man is a 52-year-old Hudson resident, who is an acquaintance of a female resident of the apartment. He became agitated after a dispute.

Hudson Police Chief L. Edward Moore said he would not release the man’s name because he was taken into custody under the Mental Health Law.

“The patience exhibited by my officers and Sheriff’s deputies showed a high degree of professionalism. This man wanted to die, but is now undergoing treatment because your officers showed restraint despite the personal risk. I would also like to thank the staff at Columbia Memorial Hospital who dealt with this highly volatile person with great expertise,” the chief said in the release

*Hudson Police charged Wayne Doyle, Jr., 29, of Dublin, Georgia, as a fugitive from justice, August 5 at 11 a.m.

Detectives found him at 340 State Street and took him into custody on active arrest warrants issued by the Laurens County, Georgia Court for rape, burglary, criminal mischief, impersonating a police officer and sexual battery.

Hudson Police detectives working with the City of East Dublin Police Department in Georgia were able to identify and find Mr. Doyle near the apartment where he was reportedly staying.

Mr. Doyle was arraigned in Hudson City Court by Judge Mark Portin and sent to Columbia County Jail. He is scheduled to return to Columbia County Court for extradition proceedings.

Mr. Doyle was tracked down as part of the ongoing investigation into a July 29 shooting at 65 North Sixth Street after he was named a person of interest in that investigation, which is still ongoing.


Joseph S. Taylor, 51, of Columbia County was charged with first degree criminal contempt, a class E felony, second degree criminal trespass, resisting arrest, second degree obstructing governmental administration and third degree menacing, all misdemeanors, by Livingston State Police investigators, August 15.

At 12:01 a.m. that day, troopers were dispatched by Columbia County 911 to a domestic incident on County Route 20.

The victim reported to police that she and Mr. Taylor had a verbal argument in a vehicle while traveling on Route 20. She asked to get out of the vehicle and Mr. Taylor willingly pulled over to the shoulder of the roadway. The victim got out and the dispute turned physical.

She called for help and several Good Samaritans overheard the struggle and attempted to assist her. Mr. Taylor then left the scene prior to police arrival. The victim further stated that she is the protected party named in a court order of protection against Mr. Taylor.

Troopers found Mr. Taylor traveling westbound on County Route 20 and attempted to stop him. He then entered the opposite lane causing a head-on collision with an eastbound vehicle. The operator of the eastbound vehicle was taken to Columbia Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Mr. Taylor fled the scene of the crash on foot.

After learning that Mr. Taylor may be staying with a friend in Stockport and going there, they saw Mr. Taylor unlawfully enter a nearby residence to avoid arrest. He was subsequently taken into custody.

Mr. Taylor was arraigned in Stockport Court and sent to the Columbia County Jail without bail.


State Police investigators from the Livingston barracks charged Quajon Rhodes, 16, and Durante Tirado, 18, both of the Berkshire Farm Center, with second degree burglary, a class C felony, August 2.

On August 1, troopers were dispatched to Canaan residence for a reported burglary. The homeowners reported that sometime between the hours of 7 and 9 p.m., someone had entered their home and stole a Samsung tablet and a set of speakers.

Subsequent investigation revealed that Quajon and Mr. Tirado had left their scheduled programs at Berkshire Farm during the time of the reported break-in and were seen entering a wooded area near Tremper Association Road. During the period in question, the pair allegedly unlawfully entered the victims’ home and removed property.

The incident remains under investigation and the pair may face additional charges.

The teens were arraigned in Canaan Court and sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $2,500 bail.

House destroyed by blaze

Six volunteer fire companies fought a stubborn house fire at 1517 Route 66, Ghent, Tuesday, August 18. Ghent firefighters and the Chatham Rescue Squad were called out at 10:14 a.m. after the fire was spotted by motorists. Four men were able to knock down doors to see if anyone was inside. They removed propane tanks from the side of the wooden structure as firefighters arrived, according to newsman Lance Wheeler who was on the scene. Reportedly, two people live in the house, a woman and her niece. Neither of them was home. Two cats escaped and the fate of a pit bull is unknown. Mutual aid was summoned from Chatham, Greenport with the FAST team, Austerlitz, Mellenville, and West Ghent. Deputy Fire Coordinators Bill Hunt, George Keeler, Joseph Loeffler and Peter Harvey were on the scene along with EMS Coordinator P.J. Keeler, Sheriff David Bartlett and the Cause and Origin Team. NYSEG was called in to cut the power. Route 66 was closed during the incident. Officials reported the residence as a total loss. Firefighters were back in service at 3:21 p.m.

Comments are closed.