State Police investigate shooting that killed child’s pet

GALLATIN—State Police are investigating the shooting death of a family dog named Buddy Clover, which died in the early morning hours of February 19.

Andrew M. Lord of Taghkanic Road told The Columbia Paper March 2 that the dog, a purebred Siberian Husky, a year and two months old, got out of the house around 2 p.m. February 18.

09 16blot Elizabeth with pic of Buddy Clover lw

Elizabeth Marie Lord shows a picture of her beloved dog, Buddy Clover. Photo by Lance Wheeler

Mr. Lord said he looked for the dog briefly before having to take his 2½ year-old daughter, Elizabeth Marie to a doctor’s appointment in Fishkill that afternoon.

Mr. Lord said he called his father to ask him to continue the search in his absence.

The senior Mr. Lord found Buddy Clover in a wooded area in the backyard around 4:30 p.m.

Initially, the dog “did not want to move,” but eventually limped into the house, Mr. Lord said his father told him by cell phone around 6:30 p.m.

The dog appeared to have a cut on his leg and Mr. Lord’s father speculated that he may have gotten hit by a vehicle or gotten into a fight.

Mr. Lord and his daughter did not arrive home until about 9 p.m. and Buddy Clover was lying on the kitchen floor. Mr. Lord said he put his daughter to bed and gave Buddy some water, which he later threw up. Mr. Lord said he noticed a small wound on his dog’s back leg, which was only slightly bleeding and which he swabbed.

Mr. Lord said he called an emergency veterinary clinic in Kingston to ask if they would examine the dog and was told he needed to pay for the service when he arrived. Not having the cash, Mr. Lord said he called a local veterinarian and was told he should bring the dog over first thing in the morning.

Mr. Lord said he stayed up that night keeping an eye on the dog which was sleeping at the foot of his daughter’s bed.

But around 4:30 a.m. February 19, Buddy “died in my arms,” Mr. Lord said.

He took the dog to Round Top Animal Hospital in Germantown later that morning and asked them to determine why the dog had died. They told him the dog had been shot with a small caliber firearm in the lower back leg. The wound had become infected and the dog succumbed.

Mr. Lord reported the incident to State Police, who are now investigating.

Mr. Lord said he hopes with the help of police and the media, the person who shot Buddy Clover is brought to justice.

“How do you explain to a 2½-year-old that her puppy is not coming home?”

State Police ask anyone with knowledge about this incident to contact Trooper Lydon at the Livingston barracks by calling (845) 677-7300. All calls can be kept confidential.


State Police from New Lebanon seek the public’s assistance to locate a missing 16-year-old Kinderhook teen, who ran away from home.

Brandon Schaefer was last seen February 24 at 5:45 a.m. Police describe Brandon as a white male, 5’6″ tall, weighing about 150 pounds. He has blonde hair and blue eyes. Brandon may have traveled to the Wynantskill area. His mode of travel is unknown at this time, police said.

Anyone who knows anything about the whereabouts of Brandon should contact Troop K Headquarters by calling 845 677-7300. Calls can be kept confidential.

Trooper Melissa McMorris said police received reports from the boy’s family members that he called them to say he is okay. Police have not confirmed those reports. “Until the teen is returned to his guardian, we will continue to look for him.”


Duane G. DeVito, 43, of Ghent was charged with third degree assault, class A misdemeanor, by Deputies Michael Meier and Steven Rose, February 21 at 6:22 p.m.

Mr. DeVito is accused of striking a female victim in the face with a closed fist at a private residence in Ghent. He was arraigned in Claverack Court and released on his own recognizance. He will appear in Ghent Town Court at a later date.


John F. Arndt, 32, currently an inmate at the Columbia County Jail, was charged on a warrant for third degree criminal sale of a controlled substance, a class D felony by Sheriff’s Office Senior Investigator William Foster and Deputy Patrick McMahon, February 8 at 4 p.m.

Mr. Arndt is accused of selling a controlled substance to another inmate.

He was arraigned in Greenport Court and remanded to the Columbia County Jail with no bail. He will reappear in court at a later date.

*Tyler J. Pegaz, 22, of Chatham was charged with fifth degree criminal possession of stolen property, a class A misdemeanor, by Deputy Jordan Brahm, February 22 at 4:15 p.m.

Mr. Pegaz allegedly stole merchandise from the Walmart store in Greenport and then tried to return it for money. He was an appearance ticket returnable in Greenport Court March 7.


•John L. Calderon, 26, of Philmont was charged with second degree criminal contempt and second degree aggravated harassment, both class A misdemeanors by K9 Deputy Travis VanAlstyne and Deputy Scott Kline February 15 at 5:07 p.m. Mr. Calderon is accused of contacting a female victim in violation of an order of protection. He was arraigned in Stockport Court and sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $250 bail. He is scheduled to reappear in court March 7.


Two people were hospitalized as the result of a two car accident on Route 22 near Shutts Road, February 12 at 8:35 p.m.

A 16-year-old female of Hudson, not identified by the Sheriff’s Office, was driving a 2012 Ford sedan south on Route 22 near Shutts Road, when her vehicle crossed the center line and collided with a northbound 2014 Cadillac Limo driven by Keith A. Farrell of Dorchester, MA.

The Community Rescue Squad took the teenager to Albany Medical Center and the limo driver to Fairview Hospital in Great Barrington, MA.

No tickets were issued by Deputy Heath Benansky, who investigated. Hillsdale firefighters were back in service at 9:30 p.m.


The driver of a car was taken to a hospital for evaluation following a collision with a snow plow at 988 County Route 32, February 20 at 7:35 a.m.

An investigation by State Police shows that Crystal Booy, 38, of Chatham was driving west on County Route 32 when she lost control of her vehicle.

Ms. Booy’s car entered the eastbound lane striking an International Harvester plow truck, operated by Mikeal Hodges, 37, of Stuyvesant. The truck is owned by Columbia County.

The Valatie Rescue Squad took Ms. Booy to Columbia Memorial Hospital for an evaluation. No tickets were issued.

Tri-Village firefighters were clear from the scene at 8:49 p.m.

To contact Diane Valden email

09 16blot jeepfire rel

Heating problem erupts. A man from Spencertown was driving his Jeep, when he pulled over at 2308 Route 203 in front of Callander’s Nursery in Kinderhook after hearing peculiar noises coming from his heater, February 21. Columbia 911 called Chatham firefighters and the Valatie Rescue Squad at 12:51 p.m. for a reported fully-involved vehicle fire. The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office assisted at the scene. No injuries were reported. Firefighters were back in service at 1:31 p.m. Photo by R.E. Lindmark


Comments are closed.