Sheriff, State Police investigate investigate child’s death

AUSTERLITZ—The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a child, according to a press release from Sheriff David P. Bartlett.

The Sheriff’s Office responded to a residence on County Route 9 in Austerlitz to assist EMS with an emergency medical call involving a 12-year-old child, December 3 at 5:28 p.m. Deputies and State Police arrived on the scene and assisted emergency medical personnel with medical care until the Chatham Rescue Squad took the child to the Columbia Memorial Hospital. The child was later transported from CMH to the Albany Medical Center, where the child died December 6.

“The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigative Branch along with assistance from the New York State Police are actively investigating the circumstances surrounding the child’s death as would be done with any case where a death has occurred,” Sheriff Bartlett said in the release. He also said no further information is available at this time.


The body of a missing man, William Amato, was found on Dutch Hollow Farm on Running Creek Road, late the afternoon of December 12.

An investigation and search for Mr. Amato, 29, of Elizaville began December 5, when his vehicle was discovered parked behind parked behind one of the cow barns on the farm. A family member reported that Mr. Amato had not been seen since the evening hours of December 4.

Deputies and investigators responded back to the farm a week later when he was discovered deceased on the property, according to a press release from Sheriff Bartlett.

After the discovery of the body, investigators notified next of kin. Coroner James Bertram also responded to the scene. An autopsy was scheduled at Ellis Hospital.

At this time, it does not appear that any foul play is involved in Mr. Amato’s death, but the investigation is continuing and investigators are awaiting the autopsy results.

During the initial search for Mr. Amato his cell phone was “pinged” to try to obtain a GPS location, but the phone was off or had a dead battery.

Sheriff’s Office K9 units were used to scour a large area around the farm, but Mr. Amato was not found.


Ronaldo Martel, III, 28, of Philmont was charged with endangering the welfare of a child, a class A misdemeanor, and second degree harassment, a violation, by Sergeant Jeffrey Hofstetter and Deputy PJ Merante, November 30 at 10:45 a.m.

Mr. Martel is accused of striking a female in the face in front of a child. He was arraigned in Philmont Village Court and sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $250 bail.

He will appear back in court December 19.


Jeremiah Stone, 40, of Hudson was charged with third degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child, both class A misdemeanors, by Deputies Jordan Brahm and Joshua Torchia, December 8 at 2:54 p.m. Columbia County 911 dispatched deputies to a private residence in Greenport for a physical altercation.

Mr. Stone is accused of striking a child and causing physical injury. He was arraigned in Greenport Court and released on his own recognizance pending a later return court date.

*Jonathan Langton, 29, of Castleton was charged on a warrant for third degree falsely reporting an incident, a class A misdemeanor, by Deputy Kelly Rosenstrach December 3 at 11:24 a.m.

Mr. Langton is accused of placing an emergency call reporting that gun shots were fired inside a residence in Greenport. The incident was investigated and found to be a false report. He was arraigned in Greenport Court and released on his own recognizance with a later return court date.

Cold dip narrowly averted. The driver of a pickup truck was not hurt after his truck went off the road at the intersection Route 295 and Barnegat Road in Canaan and hit a tree, December 14 at 1:47 p.m. Columbia County 911 dispatched East Chatham firefighters and State Police to the scene. The vehicle was traveling east on Route 295 when it crossed over to the left side of the road at Barnegat, went through a field and struck a tree at the edge of the Stony Kill. The lone occupant of the vehicle was not injured. Firefighters were back in service at 2:12 p.m. Photo by R.E. Lindmark

Comments are closed.