Florida man wanted for abuse in Copake found in Wisconsin

COPAKE—A Florida man was charged with first degree sexual abuse, January 27 at 1:45 p.m.

The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Special Victims Unit began an investigation January 8 after receiving a report of alleged child abuse from Child Protective Services in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Senior Investigator Mark Dunspaugh, with the cooperation and assistance from Manitowoc Police Department detectives, determined that the alleged sexual abuse occurred in Copake during the summer of 2019 when the victim was less than 11-years-old, according to a press release from Sheriff David P. Bartlett.

Senior Investigator Dunspaugh and Deputy Andrew Horst arrested Xavier Canning, 22, on one count of first degree sexual abuse, a class D felony.

Mr. Canning is a resident of North Port, Florida, who sometimes resides with family in Copake.

He was arraigned before Greenport Town Justice Barry Sack and was sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $25,000 cash bail or $50,000 bond. He was scheduled to return to court at a later date. This arrest was made in cooperation with the Columbia County District Attorney’s Office, the Manitowoc Police Department (WI), the Manitowoc Human Services Department (WI), the Willow Tree Child Advocacy Center (WI), and the Child Advocacy Center of Columbia-Greene Counties, Hudson.

The investigation is continuing and any other potential victims are asked to contact Senior Investigator Dunspaugh at 518 828-3344.


Hudson Police had streets cordoned off while they investigated a drive-by shooting the morning of February 2. Photo by Lance Wheeler

Hudson City Police received a report of “shots fired” in the area North Sixth and State streets in the city, Sunday, February 2 at 9:39 a.m.

Patrol units responded immediately to the area of the shooting and interviewed witnesses. Several people reported that they saw a gold-colored car at the intersection of Sixth and State streets. A passenger in the vehicle pulled out a handgun and shot at a subject walking down the street.

Police say the shooting was not random and there are no reported injuries.

Police Chief L. Edward Moore told The Columbia Paper that a State Police canine successfully tracked the victim to the street where he resides and he was not injured.

Police continue to investigate this incident with assistance from State Police and District Attorney’s Office and the Sheriff’s Office.

Anyone with further information concerning the incident is asked to contact the Hudson City Police Detective Division at 518-828-3388.


The Sheriff’s Office along with the Columbia-Greene Technical Rescue Team, which is assisted by the New York State Forest Rangers, and with the assistance and cooperation from ADM Milling and staff, recovered the body of Kenneth Pierce, 52, of Ghent, January 29.

Mr. Pierce was the man who was killed in an industrial accident at the ADM Milling Company, 201 State Route 23B, January 28.

He was a laborer and lead man at the flour mill for many years, according to his obituary which appears on Page 23 of this issue.

The accident was initially reported as “a person in cardiac arrest in an elevator chute.” The incident did not involve foul play and was “a tragic accident,” according to the Sheriff’s Office press release. Accident details have not been released.

Coroner Daniel Herrick assisted with the investigation. An autopsy was performed at Ellis Hospital, January 30. Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Public Information Officer Wayne Lopez said he did not have the autopsy results, February 5.


Two people were hurt in a two-vehicle collision at 2306 Route 66, January 24 at 3:32 p.m.

Columbia County 911 dispatched Sheriff’s deputies, Ghent firefighters and Chatham Rescue to the scene. Columbia County EMS/Greenport Rescue responded mutual aid.

An investigation revealed that Jean LaMarre, 83, of Ghent, operating a 2013 Subaru, was stopped at the intersection of Garage Place Road and State Route 66 when she pulled out onto Route 66 in front of a 2004 Subaru operated by William Bacon, 75, of South Cairo, who was southbound on Route 66. Both operators complained of pain and were taken to Columbia Memorial Hospital. No tickets were issued by Deputy Jordan Brahm, who investigated. Firefighters were back in service at 4:18 p.m.

To contact Diane Valden email

Comments are closed.