Teen charged with reckless endangerment

Hudson police place evidence markers where the spent gunshot casings and a live shell were found in Cherry Alley. Photo by Lance Wheeler

HUDSON—City police made an arrest in connection with gunshot fire in an alley.

Police received numerous calls of shots fired in the vicinity of lower Union Street, March 28 at 4:55 p.m. Patrols immediately responded and conducted numerous neighborhood interviews. With the assistance of residents, patrols found four shell casings and a live round on the 100 block of Cherry Alley.

Terrell J. Starr

No evidence of injury or property damage was discovered at that time. Detectives checked numerous security cameras owned by residents and businesses in the neighborhood. Over the ensuing days they were able to develop several leads as evidence was collected.

Detectives arrested Terrell J. Starr, 18, of Stottville and charged him with four counts of first degree reckless endangerment, a class D felony, March 30 around 4:15 p.m. He was issued an appearance ticket to return to Hudson City Court May 19.

This investigation remains open, with detectives working to determine all events surrounding the shooting.

“I commend our detectives and officers for their excellent work on this case. Noteworthy is the tremendous support we received for the neighborhood. Citizens were very cooperative about sharing information and allowing us access to surveillance systems. Under the new bail reform laws the alleged shooter was given a ticket and told to come back for an arraignment,” Hudson Police Chief L. Edward Moore said in a press release.

Cold case revisited


CANAAN—State Police continue to search for a wanted fugitive in a case that has been unsolved for 38 years.

In a “Cold Case Tuesday” press release, State Police recount their arrest of Edward E. Nye on 30 counts of first degree sodomy (now first degree criminal sex act) in Canaan, January 13, 1982.

Mr. Nye pleaded guilty in Columbia County Court to multiple sex offenses, and was ordered admitted to the Capital District Psychiatric Center in Albany pending sentencing.

On February 21, 1983, Mr. Nye escaped from psychiatric center custody, and has not been seen since.

A Columbia County grand jury indicted Mr. Nye for first degree bail jumping and a warrant for his arrest was issued.

Mr. Nye has family ties throughout upstate New York, and it is believed that he may have fled to Canada. He previously worked as a youth counselor and used this position to access to child victims.

Edward Nye in 1982

Edward Nye today in a computer-generated age progression photo

Anyone with information regarding Mr. Nye’s whereabouts is asked to contact the State Police Livingston—Bureau of Criminal Investigation at 518-851-2893 or State Police Troop K at 845-677-7300.




Attempted larceny earns prison time

HUDSON—Victoria Zinna, 26, of Petersberg, Rensselaer County, was sentenced by Columbia County Judge Jonathan Nichols, Thursday, March 12 to an indeterminate term of 1 1/3 to 4 years incarceration in state prison, according to a recent press release from the District Attorney Paul Czajka’s office.

Ms. Zinna pleaded guilty January 2 to attempted second-degree grand larceny after waiving a possible indictment by a Columbia County grand jury. Restitution in the amount of $227,836 was ordered to be paid by the defendant.

On July 5, 2019, Ms. Zinna attempted to steal more than $50,000 from her employer, Capital District Regional Off-Track Betting Corp., 501 State Route 20, New Lebanon. The case

was investigated by Investigator William Hogencamp of the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Livingston. Chief Assistant District Attorney James Carlucci is prosecuting the case. Ms. Zinna is represented by the Columbia County Public Defender.

*In court February 7, Julian Omar Smith, 36, of Hudson was convicted by a jury, after trial, of third degree assault, a class A misdemeanor, with Judge Brian J. Herman presiding.

Hudson Police Department Detective Rodney Waithe arrested Smith and charged him with this offense August 27, 2018, which resulted in a conviction.

Mr. Smith slashed the victim during an altercation at the Half Moon Bar on Front Street.

When sentenced, he faces up to one year incarceration in the Columbia County Jail.

Krista Kline prosecuted this case for the District Attorney’s Office. John Leonardson, Esq. represents Mr. Smith.

Comments are closed.