Police say murder victim was also a shooter

State Police along with Hudson Police work at the murder scene in Hudson. Photo by Lance Wheeler

HUDSON—An investigation continues into a murder that occurred the night of May 16 as members of the Hudson Police Department and State Police from Livingston as well as Troop K’s Major Crimes Unit continue to interview people and collect evidence, according to a May 17 press release from Hudson Police.

The dead man is identified as Terrell J. Starr, 18, of Stottville. Severely injured in the exchange of gunfire with Mr. Starr was a 30-year-old Albany man.

May 16 at 10:54 p.m., Hudson Police foot patrols heard multiple gunshots in the parking lot of Hudson Terrace Apartments. Shortly thereafter, Columbia County 911 received numerous calls from citizens reporting “shots fired.” At 10:58 p.m. HPD got a call from Columbia Memorial Hospital reporting that they were treating two men for gunshot wounds.

Terrell J. Starr

Both men were taken to Columbia Memorial Hospital (CMH) in private vehicles. Mr. Starr succumbed to his injuries at CMH and the other man was airlifted to the Albany Medical Center Trauma Unit, where he remains.

Several vehicles were struck by bullets.

Police know of no injuries to any other person.

Detectives continue to piece together the evidence. Specifically, police want to know whether this incident ties into a May 2 drive-by shooting on North Second Street and the March 28 arrest of Mr. Starr for firing a pistol in Cherry Alley. Indications are that several people, not just the two men shot, were involved in the exchange of gunfire.

Anyone who has any information regarding this case is asked to call Hudson Police Detectives at 518-828-3388. All calls will be kept confidential.

“Three recent shootings had prompted us to put an additional foot patrol in the downtown area. Detectives are presently conducting interviews and collecting evidence. It is yet to be determined whether these incidents are all related. The New York State Police and Columbia County Sheriff’s Office have been assisting since the initial report,” Hudson Police Chief L. Edward Moore said in a press release.

Woman dies in village fire

A woman died after going back inside a blazing house at 137 Main Street, Philmont, the evening of May 13. Flames and thick, heavy smoke engulfed the house. Photo by Lance Wheeler













PHILMONT—A Philmont woman, who escaped, then went back inside the burning building, perished in the fire at 137 Main Street, May 13 at 7 p.m.

Wednesday evening, State Police patrolled to Main Street in the village to assist the Philmont Fire Company at a residential structure fire at 7:10 p.m.

Their investigation found there were three residents in the building at the time of the fire. All three were able to get out of the building safely.

But for unknown reasons, one resident, Jacqueline Strobino, 56, re-entered the building. She was later found dead by firefighters, according to State Police.

A preliminary investigation suggests the cause of the fire was accidental in nature. New York State fire investigators and the Columbia County Cause and Origin Team were on the scene.

Philmont firefighters and the Greenport Rescue Squad were initially dispatched. Mutual aid was provided by Mellenville, Claverack, Churchtown, Greenport, Chatham, Hudson and Craryville.

Also on the scene were Sheriff’s deputies, Philmont Police, County fire coordinators, and the County EMS coordinator. NYSEG, was called in along with Coroner Dan Herrick and the State Office of Fire Prevention and Control.

Volunteers from the Hudson Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross provided immediate emergency aid to one person after the fire. Financial assistance for necessities such as food and clothing was provided to one adult. Volunteers also offered emotional support. In the coming days, Red Cross staff and volunteers will remain available to help those affected by the fire as they navigate the road to recovery.

The fire investigation remains ongoing.

Firefighters were back in service May 14 at 1:50 a.m.

Gallatin man charged after allegedly shooting at pedestrians

GALLATIN—State Police from the Livingston barracks arrested Joshua C. Parsons, 39, of Gallatin for third degree criminal possession of a weapon, three counts of first degree reckless endangerment, all class D felonies; fourth degree criminal possession of a weapon, a class A misdemeanor, and driving while intoxicated, an unclassified misdemeanor, May 7.

At 10:15 p.m. that night, troopers responded to Sigler Road for a report of a man shooting at people.

They located Mr. Parsons armed with a 12-gauge Marlin 120 shotgun operating a 1996 Honda Accord on Sigler Road.

An investigation determined that Mr. Parsons confronted a group of people walking on Sigler Road and allegedly fired one shot at them.

The walkers fled down the road, and were followed by Mr. Parsons, who allegedly drove his vehicle at them.

They ran off the roadway away from Mr. Parsons who fired two more times at the group before law enforcement arrived.

Further investigation found that Mr. Parsons had a prior conviction for criminal possession of a weapon, and was operating the vehicle while under the influence of alcohol.

He was virtually arraigned in Livingston Court and released on his own recognizance. Mr. Parsons is scheduled to appear in Gallatin Court July 8 at 4 p.m.

One hurt in tractor trailer flip. The Chatham Rescue Squad took one person to the Albany Medical Center following a tractor trailer accident in Canaan, May 8. Columbia County 911 dispatched Canaan and Red Rock firefighters and Chatham Rescue at 5:48 a.m. to a tractor trail rollover on Route 295 just east of Route 22. A LifeNet helicopter was placed on standby but was not needed. State Police investigated. Firefighters were back in service at 8:37 a.m. Photo by William Wallace

To contact Diane Valden email

Comments are closed.