CANAAN—Once again, the Canaan Historical Society under the leadership of Steve Oberon is undertaking archeological work related to the 18th century Warner Tavern in Canaan Center. Warner Tavern is famous as the location for signing of a Declaration of Independence from Great Britain by the men from The King’s District on June 24, 1776.
Not July 4? No! Canaan men signed 10 full days before the July 4th Declaration.
The tavern stood on Warner Crossing Road not far from the intersection with current County Route 5 adjacent to the Canaan Historical Society’s Meeting House. The tavern was lost to fire in 1906. There are markers at the site now. The Kings District was larger than current day Canaan and encompassed the entire northeast corner of Columbia County, including New Lebanon, Austerlitz and parts of Chatham.
In 1998 the Historical Society underwrote a dig at the Warner Tavern site led by Mr. Oberon with help from local volunteers, including: David Pearce, Paul Veillette, Jeff Knight, Dottie Crellin, Tammy Flaherty and Stanley Joseph. In addition, 16 Chatham 7th grade students led by teacher John Gould assisted in the dig, among them were: Emily Tucziniski, Susan Cerny, Jenny Rabinowitz, and Elizabeth Lowder.
Now a second stage of work has begun once again under Mr. Oberon, an archeologist and cultural consultant. “The artifacts we recovered have never been processed or analyzed. That’s where new information about the tavern could come to light,” he said.
The Historical Society is seeking volunteers to help clean, wash, identify and repackage some of the artifacts from the original 1998 dig. Volunteers are needed to work one of two Saturdays in June, either June12 or June 26. There will be two sessions each day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon
To register for this community service program email Max Cane, volunteer coordinator for the project, at with a subject line ARCHEOLOGY. Include your name, cell phone, email address and what day or days and sessions you prefer—morning or afternoon or both. Plan to wear old clothes, as this is dirty work!