Man dies after train strikes him on trestle

STOCKPORT—The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report of a man struck by a train on the Columbiaville Trestle at the end of Station Road, May 27 at around 2 p.m.

Accounts at the scene indicate that Bernard Barrett, 51, of Hudson was fishing off the trestle at the time. When he heard the train whistle, he ran across the tracks, tripped and was struck by the northbound train.

The collision impact threw Mr. Barrett into the water. A person fishing nearby saw Mr. Barrett and contacted 911.

At the scene, he was reported to be conscious, alert and complained of lower body pain, according to a press release from Sheriff David P. Bartlett.

Fire, rescue and police personnel responded without delay. Mr. Barrett was brought to shore where he was stabilized and taken by LifeNet Medivac helicopter to Albany Medical Center. He later died from his injuries there. An obituary for Mr. Barrett appears in this issue.

The Sheriff’s Office was assisted by the Amtrak Police, State Police, Stockport Police, Stockport Fire Department, Greenport Rescue Squad, Hudson Fire Department Boat, and the Albany Life Net Medivac.

Fire departments were back in service at 3:07 p.m.


A missing man last seen in Kinderhook May 25 turned up three days later in Pleasant Valley, Dutchess County, in good health.

According to several press releases from Sheriff David P. Bartlett, Kenneth Sutherland, 50, of Kinderhook was last seen the afternoon of May 25 in the area of the Luykas Van Alen house, State Route 9H in the Town of Kinderhook.

Sheriff Bartlett sought the public’s assistance in locating Mr. Sutherland, who was last seen wearing a blue button-up shirt, shorts of an unknown color and black sneakers.

Anyone with information about Mr. Sutherland’s whereabouts was asked to call the Sheriff’s Office.

A three-day methodical search, that encompassed a five-mile radius was conducted with assistance from State Forest Rangers, State Police, Valatie Rescue Squad and the United States Marshals. The search included the use of helicopters, canines, ATVs, drones and numerous personnel.

More than 40 volunteers called in, ready to assist in an extensive ground search that was planned for May 29. Fortunately those volunteers were not needed because the morning of May 28, State Police in Pleasant Valley received report of suspicious activity. When they responded to the call, they found Mr. Sutherland “in good physical health,” according to a Sheriff’s Office release.

No further details were given.

“I am very thankful for not only the help and cooperation of our law enforcement partners but also for the assistance we received from the public. The Sheriff’s Office received many tips and sightings from family, friends and community members. Each one of those tips was followed up on by an investigator,” Sheriff Bartlett said in the release.

Lightning shatters tree near Copake house. A tall pine tree next to a house at 4 Fairview Avenue, Taconic Shores in Copake was struck by lightning, May 26 at 6:52 p.m. According to Copake Councilwoman Terry Sullivan, who lives nearby, the family, which includes three small children, was at home at the time. Fortunately they were all on the other side of the house when lightning struck the tree and caused it “to explode.” A neighbor who lives across the street saw it happen and gave Ms. Sullivan the eye witness account, she said. Copake and Ancram firefighters along with the Community Rescue Squad were called to the scene. Millerton firefighters stood by in Copake quarters. NYSEG was called to scene to turn off power. Firefighters were back in service at 8:31 p.m. Photo by Terry Sullivan

Rohde tapped to lead Troop K

SALT POINT—State Police Acting Superintendent Kevin P. Bruen appointed Major Kathryne M. Rohde as the 37th Troop Commander of Troop K.

Major Rohde began her career with the State Police when she entered the New York State Police Academy May 10, 1999. She was first assigned to patrol the western corridor of the Hudson Valley in Troop F after graduating the academy. She was soon promoted to the rank of sergeant in 2005 and remained in Troop F until assignment to the Governor’s Protective Services Detail in 2010.

Major Kathryne M. Rohde appointed as the 37th Troop commander of Troop K. Photo contributed

In 2012 she was promoted to the rank of lieutenant and initially assigned to the Professional Standards Bureau.

Soon thereafter Major Rohde transferred to the Computer Crimes Unit, where she served as the New York State Internet Crimes Against Children Commander.

In 2015 Major Rohde transferred to Troop K and was assigned as the assistant Zone 2 commander until her promotion to the rank of captain, Zone 2 commander in 2017. Then in May 2018 she transferred to Troop K Zone 1 as the Zone 1 commander.

Major Rohde received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from SUNY Albany in criminal justice. Originally from Long Island, she has resided in the Catskills for the past 25 years with her two children.

“I whole-heartedly believe in the oath I have taken and will continue to serve this state, its citizens, my coworkers, and the people I have been blessed to lead with the utmost honor, integrity, respect and compassion. I’m truly grateful for this opportunity and look forward to leading the outstanding men and women assigned to Troop K,” Major Rohde said in a press release.

Her appointment to Troop K commander was effective May 27, 2021. She replaces Major Michael J. Drake who will go on to serve the Division of State Police in the Professional Standards Bureau, at Division Headquarters.

Troop K includes Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess and Columbia counties.

Comments are closed.