Motocycle accident claims life of Hudson man

HUDSON—A Hudson man was killed in a motorcycle accident Wednesday, August 25 at 5:59 p.m.

Hudson City Police received a call from Columbia 911, reporting they were dispatching Hudson Fire and EMS to North Second Street for a motorcycle accident.

911 reported the operator of the motorcycle went over an embankment and was unconscious.

Patrol units were dispatched to the area immediately to assist.

Officers arrived on scene and found the victim, Jemol J. Lewis, 23, of Hudson lying face down just off the roadway. Hudson Fire administered CPR until rescue squad members were able to take over.

A Life Net helicopter airlifted the victim to the Albany Medical Center, where he died.

No other vehicles or pedestrians were involved in the accident. Police say, it appears the accident was due to driver error. The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office accident reconstruction team responded and assisted Hudson detectives with the investigation. An obituary for Mr. Lewis appears on page 21 of this issue.

*Three suspects allegedly involved in the shooting of a 20-year-old Hudson man in April have been arrested by Hudson Police.

The incident occurred April 29 at 11:32 a.m. when the Hudson Police dispatcher received several calls of “shots fired” in the area of North Third and Columbia streets.

Police also received a call from the victim who stated he was shot at and “to get here now,” according to a press release.

Units responded to the area within minutes. They found that the victim was shot in leg. He was taken to the Albany Medical Center for emergency medical treatment, and has since been released.

After a nearly four-month investigation all three suspects were arrested for second degree attempted murder (with a gun) and second degree conspiracy, both class B felonies.

Arrested on the above felony charges were:

*Joshua Wallace, 20, of Hudson, arrested August 6 during a gang sweep. He was arraigned by Judge Brian Herman in the Hudson City Court and sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or bond.

*A 17-year-old juvenile of Hudson, arrested August 11.

He was arraigned in front of Judge Jonathan Nichols in the Youth Section of Columbia County Court and was sent to a secure juvenile detention facility, where he remains.

*Joseph I. Nicoletti, 20, of Copake arrested August 19.

He was arraigned by City Court Judge John Connor and sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $50,000 cash bail or $100,000 bond.

State Police and the Columbia County District Attorney’s Office assisted HPD with this felony investigation.

“HPD will always do its part and work very hard to hold people accountable for their actions. Our small department is focused on getting the job done. If you look at the major cases we’ve handled and the coordination with NYSP and CCSO, it’s remarkable. Very proud of our team,” Hudson Police Chief L. Edward Moore said in a press release.

*A Greenport man allegedly attacked officers when they tried to arrest him.

Hudson Police received a report that a man was allegedly attempting to illegally remove his vehicle from an impound lot off Green Street, August 17 at about 3:20 p.m. Patrols quickly located the suspect on the 700 block of Columbia Street. He was identified as Michael P. Kelley, 36, of Greenport.

Patrols learned that Mr. Kelley was wanted on an outstanding warrant in the Town of Catskill for criminal mischief and assault.

While being placed under arrest Mr. Kelley allegedly became violent. Several officers were kicked, and one officer sustained an injury to her hand. Mr. Kelley allegedly attempted to kick the window out of the patrol car and caused damage to the passenger door. While at the station, he allegedly caused damage to the holding cell by repeatedly kicking the door.

Mr. Kelley was charged with second degree assault, D felony; second degree criminal mischief, D felony; resisting arrest and third degree criminal mischief, class A misdemeanors; and third degree criminal tampering, class B misdemeanor.

Mr. Kelley was arraigned in front of Hudson City Court Judge Brian Herman and sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $2,500 cash bail or $5,000 bond.

Mr. Kelley has the following cases pending related to previous incidents: in Hudson, second degree criminal possession of controlled substance, class A felony; third degree criminal possession of controlled substance intent to sell, B felony; second degree aggravated harassment and third degree assault, A misdemeanors; and criminal obstruction of breathing. In Stockport, criminal obstruction of breathing, A misdemeanor and second degree harassment, a violation. In Philmont, a violation of probation. In county court, making a terroristic threat, D felony.

The warrant from Catskill for assault and criminal mischief has been lodged at the jail.

“I wish for the speedy recovery of my officer. Her and her fellow officers were kicked, spit on and verbally abused but kept their composure and contained a violent situation,” Police Chief Moore said in a press release.


Two people were killed in an accident at 69 Preusser Road, August 29 at 12:58 a.m.

Philmont firefighters and the Greenport Rescue Squad were call to accident which involved entrapment and a vehicle fire, according to information from Columbia County 911.

Mellenville and Churchtown firefighters responded with mutual aid and a Life Net helicopter airlifted one patient to Albany Medical Center. Columbia County Northern Dutchess Paramedics, and county Fire Coordinators assisted on scene.

NYSEG, Verizon and Coroner Dan Herrick were called to the scene. Firefighters were back in service at 6:05 a.m. August 30. State Police could provide no accident information prior to press deadline.

To contact Diane Valden email

Alleged shooter indicted for attempted murder

Kevron “Trone” Lee at his arraignment August 20. Photo by Lance Wheeler

HUDSON—Columbia County Judge Jonathan D. Nichols arraigned Kevron “Trone” Lee, 28, of Hudson on a sealed indictment in Columbia County Court, August 20.

The Grand Jury charged Mr. Lee with six counts of second degree attempted murder, a class B felony; second degree assault, a class D felony; first degree assault, a class B felony; and six counts of first degree reckless endangerment, a class D felony, according to a press release from Columbia County District Attorney Paul Czajka and Hudson Police Chief L. Edward Moore.

The arrest stems from a four-year investigation by the Hudson Police Department into a shooting on State Street, Hudson, August 13, 2017, in which three people were wounded including two children. Deputy Chief ADA Ryan Carty and Detective Sergeant Jason Finn led the investigation, with critical assistance from the United States Attorney’s Office, Northern New York District and the State Police.

In the press release, the DA said that the investigation continues and explained that “this indictment is the result of one of several shootings in Hudson that occurred over a five-month period in 2017.

During that time, two children and four adults were shot and a New York City man was murdered. I extend my gratitude to the Hudson Police, U.S. Attorney’s Office and the New York

State Police for assisting us in this multifaceted, years-long investigation, which remains active.”

“We are working at a high level of competency. Arrests and successful prosecutions don’t come quickly enough for some, but we have learned that a deliberate and professional approach to these cases, utilizing every asset we can gather, will ultimately lead to success. I am very proud of our department, and very grateful for the teamwork and support from other agencies,” Chief Moore said in the release.

Deputy Chief ADA Carty requested the defendant be remanded without bail, which Judge Nichols granted. Attorney Stephen Sharp of Albany represents Mr. Lee.

Comments are closed.